Saturday 15 August 2009

Camping it up

I've been away from my laptop, and blogging, for the last few days because I've been 'at one with nature', camping it up in a trailer tent in the New Forest!

Having never camped whilst growing up (static caravanning was the nearest I got!), my girlfriend - now wife - Sally and I went on a tenting holiday around France 11 years ago. Since then, we've always had walls around us on holidays. Until now!

We bought a second-hand trailer tent a few months ago, bought some essential equipment and got planning where we'd go. With two young daughters in tow (well, they were actually in the car), we headed south for a few hours to Hordle in the New Forest for a three-night try-out.

Despite my reservations and apprehensions, the experience went well. It was great to be a family all so close together, to leave pressures and distractions from home behind and the kids loved having lots of green space around them when they stepped out of the awning. They slept brilliantly through the night too - all that fresh air! We learnt what worked and what didn't - getting organised seems to be key.

One thing I'll need to get to grips with is the mindset of the camping community - the oddities and quirks of people staying near us. One guy we met was a particular oddball - we dubbed him Mr Baguette because his instructions of how to get to the best beach included going via Tesco's to pick up a baguette,"if you're like us". (Which we definitely weren't!)

He talked with eyes shut (really annoying!), had stayed in his caravan for THREE weeks (does he not like his home?) and was a Mr Know-it-all when it came to camping and the local area. He came over to us before we even got through the gate. One night he and his wife entertained three other couples outside their caravan. He was overbearing and odd.

I think you've got to be a sort of person to remain happy living with life's simple things in such a small space. Can that really be me? My fear is I'll turn into Mr Baguette. That said: we're off to the Cotswolds in October...

No comments:

Post a Comment