Saturday 25 July 2009

In training

Seven years ago I took part in the Great North Run - a truly amazing event on Tyneside. I found doing a half-marathon pretty tough, mentally and physically,but the support of local people really spurred me on. It was a pleasure to raise lots of money for the Cleft Lip And Palate Association, an organisation that has really helped my cousin since he was born.
(Photo credit: Patries71)
I put my trainers down and didn't contemplate doing any more running until last year, when I did the 10k Two Castles Run between Warwick and Kenilworth Castles, raising money for BMS World Mission. Encouraged by my run-loving brother-in-law, I was really glad to have done it - again local support was brilliant, the sun shone and it was a manageable distance. I did in 54 minutes, which I was chuffed with.
Well, 10K running has now turned into an annual event - as I'm back for another run this September and have started my preparations on the streets of Abingdon. I'm doing the Run10k event at Blenheim Palace in September to raise money for Cancer Research UK, along with my bro-in-law... though I'll be in his dust at the start line no doubt.

So, today I was out for the third of my two-mile runs (just under a third of the total distance on the day), just to get back in the swing of it really. And blimey, it was hot. My knees also felt it and it took me a while to recover from what it not really very far. Need to get that fitness up - and I have two months to do it!

(If you feel you would like to sponsor me for this run, that would be great - you can do so online at: www.run10ksponsorme.org/andrewdubock)

No comments:

Post a Comment